The mystery surrounding the explorations and extractions of natural resources in Ghana and many parts of Africa is very scary and sad at the same time.
In 2007, when Ghana first announced the discovery of oil in large quantity, the masses jubilated with a strong hope that as Oil joins Gold, Diamond, Bauxite, Manganese, Cocoa, and many other resource extracted from the West African country, a new door of prosperity, opportunity, and improved life will be opened to them.
Sadly, since the first oil left the shores of Ghana to the global ‘black-gold’ market in 2012, several billions of barrels of oil have followed but the lives of the masses of the Ghanaian people have remained the same if not worsened.
From 2012 to present, what the Ghanaian people can collectively attest to, as an increasing object of their society is nothing than corruption: the values of corruption cases have seen significant increase from few thousands of dollars prior to the discovery of oil, to hundreds of millions of dollars and billions of dollars in some cases.
The costing of public projects and programs has seen multiples of increments and over-pricing; Members of Parliament are known to be illegally collecting double salaries without any desire to punishing the law maker-breaker; and an incorruptible president has become a clearing agent, an admirer of public looting, who on weekly basis, sit on a corrupt dining table to clear corrupt political appointees of any wrong doing. Dejectedly, the ultimate interests of the masses and the future generations have been forgotten in the face of mass resource extractions.
Just a day ago, Springfield Exploration and Production Limited (SEP) announced that deepwater drillship contracted by SSEP, a subsidiary of Springfield Group, is on its way to Ghana to commence the drilling of the deepwater West Cape Three Points Block 2 (WCTP Block 2).
In anticipation, the announcement is expected to bring joy to the Ghanaian people. However, majority of the people are rather worried and sad, because, they know that this is nothing but an action to deeply milk the future of the country.
Oil, like all other resources taking from Africa in large quantities on daily basis, the African share of it is 10 percent or less. This 10 percent is used to finance corruption and to provide heavenly comfort for the African politician and his loyalists, leaving the greater masses to die of poverty and deep hunger. The remaining 90% or more is sent to the west to support extravagant western living and to extend privilege to the next western generations.
Instead of standing to defend the interest of the African continent, the African politician of today, is comfortable with the 10% self-cut and he is supervising the milking of the African values and resources by colonizers.
The situation is really sad imagine, and you will cry daily for the motherland-Africa, if you have ever been to Qatar and being confronted with how an organized society with well managed resources actually looks like.
It is time for the masses of the African people in the continent and around the world to come together to safe the motherland from total collapse. None politician or leader will do that for us because he is highly comfortable with his 10% cut.